When it comes to makeup, lipstick is one of the most versatile and classic products… but it can also be a bit overwhelming right? What types of lipstick are there? Which one should you try? How to apply it the right way?!
Arg! The list of questions goes on and on, so in this article, I will be discussing the different types of lipsticks and their unique characteristics.
Different Types of Lipsticks and Finishes
When it comes to lipsticks, there are countless options to choose from. Each type of lipstick has a unique texture, finish, and level of pigmentation. Here are some of the most popular types of lipsticks and finishes.
Matte lipsticks have a flat, non-shiny finish that is perfect for creating bold, dramatic looks. They are often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making them a popular choice for special occasions. However, matte lipsticks can be drying, so it’s important to moisturize your lips before applying them.
Cream lipstick is a versatile option that provides a balance of texture and gloss. It is often nourishing and goes on smoothly, making it a great option for everyday wear. Cream lipstick is higher in wax than sheer lipstick, giving it more staying power.
Sheer lipstick is a lighter option that provides a subtle hint of color. It is often higher in oil than cream lipstick, making it more moisturizing. Sheer lipstick is a great option for a natural, effortless look.
Satin lipstick has a slightly glossy finish that is less shiny than gloss lipstick. It provides a subtle sheen that is perfect for everyday wear. Satin lipstick is often highly pigmented and long-lasting.
Metallic lipstick has a shimmery, reflective finish that is perfect for creating bold, eye-catching looks. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making it a popular choice for special occasions.
Glossy lipsticks have a shiny, reflective finish that is perfect for creating a bold, glamorous look. They are often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making them a popular choice for all occasions.
Lip Stains and Tints
Lip stains and tints provide a subtle, long-lasting hint of color. They are often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making them a great option for all-day wear.
Frosted lipstick has a shimmery, iridescent finish that is perfect for creating a bold, statement look. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting.
Gloss lipstick has a shiny, reflective finish that is perfect for creating a bold, glamorous look. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making it a popular choice for special occasions.
Liquid lipstick has a smooth, liquid texture that provides a bold, long-lasting finish. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making it a popular choice for special occasions.
Lip liner is a pencil-like tool that is used to outline the lips and prevent lipstick from bleeding. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting, and can be worn alone or with lipstick.
Moisturizing lipstick is a nourishing option that provides a subtle hint of color. It is often higher in oil than cream lipstick, making it more moisturizing. Moisturizing lipstick is a great option for a natural, effortless look.
Ombre lipstick is a bold, statement look that involves blending two or more colors to create a gradient effect. It is great for those who want head-turning, eye-catching makeup.
Natural lipstick is a subtle option that provides a hint of color. It is often made with natural ingredients and provides a nourishing, moisturizing finish.
Transfer-resistant lipstick is a long-lasting option that is designed to stay in place all day. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting.
Pearl lipstick has a shimmery, iridescent finish. You can find pearl lipsticks in bold colors such as blue, green and purple as well as subtle and natural colors such as pink, and nude.
Glitter lipstick has a shimmery, sparkly finish that is perfect for creating a bold, statement look. It is often highly pigmented and long-lasting, making it a popular choice for special occasions.
Lip oil is a nourishing option that provides a subtle hint of color. It is often higher in oil than cream lipstick, making it more moisturizing. Lip oil is a great option for a natural, effortless look.
A lip crayon is just that—a lipstick in a crayon form. Lipstick crayons come in many colors, and finishes and is great for those who don’t like lipstick in a tube. Additionally, since you draw that lipstick on your lip (since it’s a crayon), it can eliminate the need for a lip pencil.
Holographic lipstick has a shimmery, iridescent finish that is perfect for creating a bold, statement look. It is often
Now that I’ve shared the most popular types of lipstick let’s discuss how to apply lipstick the best way!
How to Apply Lipstick
Wondering how to get that perfect lip? Here’s a video sharing how to apply lipstick:
Do you love beauty tutorials? Be sure to subscribe to my YouTube channel!
Step-by-step directions on how to apply lipstick (with photos)
Optional: Exfoliate your lips with a soft toothbrush or lip scrub to remove any dry skin. Apply a lip balm or primer underneath. This will help the lipstick adhere better and last longer.
1. Line your lips with a lipliner that matches the color of your lipstick or skin tone.
2. Start by applying lipstick in the middle of your upper lip, and then blend it outward.
4. Follow the same process for the lower lip.
Optional: Use a tissue to blot any excess color or apply translucent powder to set the lipstick in place.
5. For an extra layer of protection and shine, use a gloss on top.
7. Finally, take a step back and admire your work! You’ve just applied lipstick like a pro.
Tips for Applying Lipstick (Do’s and Don’ts)
- Exfoliate your lips before applying lipstick to remove any dry or flaky skin.
- Use a lip liner that matches the shade of your lipstick to define the shape of your lips and prevent feathering.
- Apply lipstick using a lip brush for a more precise application.
- Blot your lips with a tissue after applying lipstick to remove any excess product and prevent smudging.
- Use a setting spray or powder to help your lipstick last longer.
- Apply lipstick as one of the last steps in your makeup routine.
- Don’t apply lipstick directly from the tube as it can result in an uneven application.
- Don’t rub your lips together after applying lipstick as it can cause the color to fade faster.
- Don’t apply too much pressure when applying lipstick as it can cause the product to bleed.
Remember, practice makes perfect when it comes to applying lipstick. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different shades and techniques to find what works best for you.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Lipstick
When choosing a lipstick, there are a few factors to consider to ensure that you get the best product for your needs. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
Consider your skin tone
When it comes to choosing the right lipstick shade, your skin tone is the most important factor to consider. Here are some general guidelines to follow:
- If you have fair skin, go for shades that are pink or peach-based, such as light pinks, corals, and nudes.
- If you have medium skin, opt for shades that have warm undertones, such as berry, mauve, and brick red.
- If you have dark skin, bold and bright shades like deep reds, berries, and plums will look stunning on you.
Remember, these are just general guidelines, and you should always choose a shade that complements your skin tone and makes you feel confident.
Consider the occasion & outfit
The occasion you are attending is another factor to consider when choosing a lipstick shade. Here are some suggestions:
- For a daytime look, go for lighter shades like nudes, pinks, and corals.
- For a night out, bold and bright shades like reds, purples, and dark berries will make a statement.
- For a formal event, classic shades like reds and deep berries are always a safe choice.
- If you are wearing a bold and colorful outfit, go for a neutral lipstick shade like nude or light pink.
- If you are wearing a neutral outfit, a bold and bright lipstick shade like red or fuchsia will make your outfit pop.
- If you are wearing a formal outfit, classic shades like red or deep berry will complement your look.
Consider the texture
Lipsticks come in various textures, including matte, gloss, satin, and sheer. Matte lipsticks are perfect for a bold, dramatic look, while gloss lipsticks provide a shiny finish.
Satin lipsticks offer a balance between matte and gloss, while sheer lipsticks provide a subtle hint of color. Consider the texture that best suits your needs and preferences.
Consider your personal preference
Your personal preference is also crucial when choosing a lipstick. Do you prefer a bold or subtle look? Do you like a long-lasting formula, or are you okay with reapplying throughout the day? Consider your personal preferences and choose a lipstick that aligns with them.
Staying power is an essential factor to consider when choosing a lipstick. If you want a long-lasting formula, opt for a matte or satin lipstick. Gloss and sheer lipsticks may require more frequent reapplication. It’s also essential to consider how the lipstick wears throughout the day and whether it smudges or fades.
Consider your blush color:
Did you know your blush color is an important factor to consider when choosing a lipstick? Lipstick should complement your blush for an even-balanced look. For example, if you’re wearing orange blush, consider a lipstick that is either in the orange family or compliments orange.
While your blush does not have to match your lipstick, it’s a great beginner makeup hack to make color choosing easier!
Take a lipstick quiz
Another great way to find the perfect lipstick shade for you is to take a lipstick quiz. Sephora has a pretty cool lip finder that will ask you a set of questions and calculate the best lipstick colors, texture, and brand for you!
In summary, when choosing a lipstick, consider your skin tone, shade, texture, personal preference, and staying power. By keeping these factors in mind, you can find a lipstick that complements your natural beauty and meets your needs and preferences.
The Most Popular Lipstick Colors
As a beauty enthusiast, I have researched and experimented with various lipstick shades to find the most popular colors. Here are some of the most popular lipstick colors that have stood the test of time.
Red lipstick is a classic and timeless shade that never goes out of style. It is a bold and confident color that can instantly elevate any look.
Nude lipsticks are versatile and can be worn for any occasion, whether it’s a casual day out or a formal event.
Pink lipsticks come in a variety of shades, from soft and subtle to bright and bold.
Berries and Plums
Berry and plum lipsticks are perfect for fall and winter, with their deep and moody shades.
Oranges and Corals
Orange and coral lipsticks are perfect for a summery and fresh look. Morange by MAC is a bold and bright orange lipstick that is perfect for making a statement.
Brown lipsticks have become increasingly popular in recent years.Brown lipsticks are versatile and can be worn for any occasion, whether it’s a casual day out or a formal event.
Black and Dark Shades
Black and dark lipsticks are perfect for making a statement and creating a bold and edgy look.
Shades for All Skin Tones
When it comes to lipstick, finding the perfect shade that complements your skin tone can be a daunting task. However, there are some lipstick shades that work well on all skin tones, making them universally flattering.
As someone who has tried and tested several lipstick shades, I can confidently say that the following shades work well on all skin tones:
Neutral shades such as nude, beige, and soft pink are perfect for achieving a natural, everyday look. These shades are versatile and can be worn with any outfit. Some of my favorite neutral lipsticks include:
Red lipstick is a classic and timeless shade that never goes out of style. It is also a shade that works well on all skin tones. When choosing a red lipstick, it is important to consider your skin’s undertone. If you have warm undertones, opt for a red lipstick with orange or yellow undertones. If you have cool undertones, choose a red lipstick with blue undertones. Some of my favorite red lipsticks include:
Berry shades such as plum, raspberry, and blackberry are perfect for adding a pop of color to your makeup look. These shades work well on all skin tones and are perfect for both day and night looks. Some of my favorite berry lipsticks include:
- Bobbi Brown Crushed Lip Color in Blackberry
- NARS Audacious Lipstick in Charlotte
- YSL Rouge Pur Couture in Fuchsia Pink
In conclusion, when it comes to lipstick shades that work well on all skin tones, neutrals, reds, and berries are a safe bet. These shades are versatile, timeless, and can be worn for any occasion.
Common Lipstick Questions
As someone who loves lipstick, I often get asked various questions about lipstick. Here are some of the most common questions I have been asked and my answers to them:
How to Store Lipstick
Storing lipstick properly can help extend its shelf life. Here are some tips for storing your lipstick:
- Keep your lipstick in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight.
- Avoid storing your lipstick in the bathroom, as the moisture and heat can cause it to spoil faster.
- If you have a large lipstick collection, consider using a lipstick organizer to keep them organized and easily accessible.
How to Make Lipstick Last Longer and Not Fade
Here are some tips to help make your lipstick last longer and not fade:
- Exfoliate your lips before applying lipstick to remove any dead skin cells.
- Apply a lip primer before applying lipstick to help it adhere better and last longer.
- Use a lip liner to outline and fill in your lips before applying lipstick.
- Blot your lips with a tissue after applying lipstick to remove any excess and help it set.
Types of Lipstick Applicators
There are various types of lip applicators, each with their own benefits. Here are some of the most common types:
- Traditional bullet: This is the most common type of lipstick applicator, with a pointed tip for precise application.
- Doe-foot wand: This type of applicator is commonly used for liquid lipsticks and glosses, with a flat, paddle-like tip for easy application.
- Brush: Some lipsticks come with a brush applicator, which allows for more precise application and can be used to create different lip shapes.
Which Type of Lipstick is Best for Daily Use?
For daily use, I prefer using a lipstick that is comfortable to wear and easy to apply. Here are some types of lipstick that are great for daily use:
- Sheer lipstick: This type of lipstick provides a hint of color and is great for a natural, effortless look.
- Cream lipstick: This type of lipstick provides a balance of texture and gloss and is often nourishing for the lips.
- Satin lipstick: This type of lipstick has a slight sheen and is comfortable to wear all day.
Sheer or satin lipstick is great if you want a subtle color that is also moisturizing on your lips.
Which Type of Lipstick is Best for Beginners?
For beginners, I recommend starting with a liquid lipstick if you want something long-lasting or cream lipstick for ease of use, as they are easy to apply and provide a natural look.
Here are some other tips for beginners:
- Choose a shade that complements your skin tone and is easy to wear.
- Use a lip liner to help with application and to prevent the lipstick from bleeding.
- Experiment with different types of lipstick applicators to find what works best for you.
Does lipstick expire?
Yes, lipstick has an expiration date (all makeup products expire!). Generally, lipsticks last 1-2 years and anything beyond that should be thrown away.
Signs that your lipstick has expired include the product’s smell, texture, and color changes. If you notice any of these signs, it’s a good idea to throw out your old lipstick and invest in some fresh ones! Additionally, if you haven’t used your lipstick for a while, it is best to get rid of it as bacteria can start to build up.
I have a FREE makeup expiration planner inside my complimentary beauty bundle, which you join below:
How many types of lipstick are there
The makeup game is forever changing, so that means there are always new types, finishes, and colors of lipstick being put on the market! Right now, there are around 25 types of lipstick if you include lip balm, chapstick, and lipliner.
Here is a list of the different types of lipstick:
- Matte lipstick
- Cream lipstick
- Sheer lipstick
- Satin lipstick
- Metallic lipstick
- Frosted lipstick
- Gloss lipstick
- Liquid lipstick
- Lip liner
- Long-wearing lipstick
- Moisturizing lipstick
- Lipstick Stain
- Lipstick tint
- Ombre/duo-tone lipstick
- Shimmer lipstick
- Natural lipstick
- Transfer-resistant lipstick
- Pearl lipstick
- Lip oil
- Velvet lipstick
- Lip crayon
- Holographic Lipstick
- Lip lacquers
- Lip primer
- Lip plumper
- Lip gloss
- Lip balm
Overall, the key to finding the perfect lipstick is to experiment and try different formulas and shades until you find the one that works best for you. Don’t be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. With so many options available, you are sure to find a lipstick that you love.
Which lipstick is your favorite? Let me know in the comments!